What are web seeds?
So, what exactly are we doing?
We are going to upload the file we want to distribute in the "public" Dropbox folder, then use that file's URL as the webseed for a new torrent. Then shut off our computer knowing that our file is well looked-after and you will not receive a stern email from Dropbox.
- First, you need to get DropBox.
- You need to be minimally familiar with torrents (we'll be using uTorrent).
- That's it.
- When the Dropbox icon becomes a green check-mark again, your webseed is ready. You can right click your file and select Dropbox -> Copy Public Link to get the URL.
- Open up uTorrent and create a new torrent. Select your file. Add any public tracker (For instance: http://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce). Paste the webseed URL from step 2 into the Web Seed box. Do not check Private torrent. Click Create and save as... and wait as uTorrent makes your .torrent file.
- Done! Give your .torrent file to a friend or post it to a website for millions to see and you can safely shut down your computer to go to work (or whatever), it doesn't matter. Dropbox will seed your file for you, as long as there are no other seeds available. As soon as there are however, those seeders will prevent your Dropbox from being overwhelmed.
Signup For Dropbox here http://db.tt/VSpyJqh